Dhokla or Dhokra (Gujarati) is a vegetarian food item that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. It is made with a fermented batter derived from rice and chickpea splits. Lets see how we can prepare this at home.
- Gram flour (Besan)-350gms
- Curd (Stirred)-1 Cup
- Green Chilies (paste)-1 tsp
- Ginger (paste)-1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soda bi-carb / Eno fruit salt-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-1
- turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Few Curry leaves
- Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
- Oil-2 tsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped)
- Green chilies (vertically slit)-2-3
Preparation procedure for dhokla (Recipe)
- Take a bowl and add gram flour(Besan), curd and water to it.
- Mix them well until you get a smooth batter. The batter should be of thick and consistent.
- Add salt to that batter and set a side for 4 hours covered with a lid.
- Now add ginger paste,green chillies paste and turmeric powder to it and mix well.
- Then keep a cooker/steamer ready on gas.
- Grease a baking dish (it should fit in the steamer/cooker).
- Take a small bowl and add 1 tsp of soda bi-carb/ Eno fruit salt, 1 tsp of oil and lemon juice to that and mix well.
- Add this mixture to the batter and mix it well.
- Pour this batter into the greased pan and steam for 10-12 minutes or till done.
- Cool that for sometime and cut that into cubes.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds,vertically slit green chilles,curry leaves allow to splutter. Remove and pour it over dhoklas.
- Granish the dhoklas with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve it with hari chutney.